Thursday, June 1, 2017

Getting Back to Me



The death of my mother has been quite a shock to my system. Things just aren't the same anymore. I know those who have lost someone will understand. I tried to understand when my friends went through this before me, but nothing could really prepare me. Some days are good and I cherish her memory. Other days, I cry at random times - like when I broke down sobbing in the Memphis airport for no special reason.

One of the things that has been neglected is my studio time. I just haven't felt like making anything. Usually, that brings me joy, but, for a while I would go to the studio and just sit and feel empty. I've been trying to give myself some space and let it come when it comes.

Lately though, I've been getting the itch to create. This past weekend, I had a few hours and I got out my watercolors. Birds were a favorite of my mother's so I'm not surprised that they showed up on the paper.

3 comments:

  1. I am really sorry for the loss of you Mom. When my Mom passed I was numb to the world for a long time. I'm glad you're starting to create. Those little birds are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - Those watercolor birds are oh so special. Of course, I'm partial to birds. It is lovely though, that painting and creating is a good therapy for you and a tribute to your mom. I read this post when you first put it up, but I couldn't comment, because even though it has been two years since my mom passed, it still really catches in my throat. I still have those good and bad days and times when the tears roll out of nowhere. Grief is such a personal thing. I hope you continue to express your talents and think of your mom and have lovely little spots of inspiration. xo kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, the birds are glorious little critters. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!