Sunday, August 19, 2012

Summer Tomatoes


August in the Hill Country is brutal. Many days are 100 degrees and this year we've had high humidity. The heat saps your energy when you venture out of the house. As a result, my garden looks pretty sad. Most things have shriveled and I haven't had the time or energy to pull them up. And, although many gardeners have planted their fall crops, I can't bring myself to plant anything else in this weather. It seems cruel.

On the bright side, I've got some tomatoes that keep producing in spite of it all. A few pastes are hanging on. But, the orange grape tomatoes are still making sweet little tomatoes. I think next year, I'm going to give up on the big tomatoes and only plant these little guys.

2 comments:

  1. they make for a beautiful picture. Our gardens are all so awful, I'm thinking of going out in a few minutes with the lawnmower, the weeds are the only thing growing. Worst season ever and doesn't inspire me to do much next year. I'm sure my story will change come next March. xo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture...
    My maters are about played out... most of what I'm picking are inedible due to the leaf-footed bugs... The others are cracked and attract fruit-flies as soon as I pick them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!