Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nurture


My fellow fliers have challenged me to choose one word to define 2012. It is to define my intent for the coming year. We took Kelly Rae Roberts’ class Flying Lessons and have become an international source of on-going support and encouragement.
My word for 2012 is “Nurture”. I chose this word because I am in the beginning stages of making a significant change in my life. It is my intent for 2012 to begin to nurture my creative business. I need to plant the seeds that will someday become a new way of life for me - one that is true to myself and brings me joy each day. I am not quite ready to fly on my own, but I am ready to start walking down that path. That means learning new things and creating a plan. If it was my garden, I’d be picking a sunny spot, creating raised beds, amending the soil, irrigating and planting. Lots of different things that have to be done before the seeds can reach their full potential.

I have a plan to quit the day job and focus on more creative endeavors. Before I do that though, I need to take care of a few things. These things include the not so fun like new windows and a new roof. And, some fun things like building a new studio and adding solar panels. None of those are insignificant so the plan is a five year (or so) plan. In the meantime, I need to start building a good foundation on the creative endeavors side so that when the time comes, I will be able to truly fly.

That isn't to say that I won't be creating along the way. For 2012, I have signed up for a few on-line courses including KRR’s latest course “Hello Soul. Hello Business.” to give me some more business roots. Another e-course that I have signed up for is Flora Bowley’s “Brave Intuitive You” just because it looks like lots of fun. I love her paintings and her approach to creating art. I have also signed up for a few classes at my favorite studio Wired Designs. I will be learning to weld in January and will be enameling jewelry in March. And, since I will be walking soon, I will be firing up the kiln to practice the things that I learned this past year. I didn’t choose “Focus” as my word for a reason!

16 comments:

  1. Lisa - nurture a lovely word and I love the way you compared it to preparing a garden. I came up with a word while I was in the shower this morning, but I've lost it already. LOL. Your goals for your future make me smile, and bring me happy memories of all those years ago, when I too made those very same goals. So glad I did, and I am glad for you too. I can't wait to watch it unfold for you. Much love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the possibility that comes with the word you chose and the plans you've mapped out. Good luck to you and happy blessings in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful word! I have similar 'quit the day job' plans. Have a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you chose that word and are choosing to nurture yourself! We all need to be reminded to do that to ourselves, thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the 5 year plan! I wish all the success in the world with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took me years to learn to nurture myself, but now that I have, I try to pay close attention to its importance. So glad you have chosen to nurture yourself in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the word nurture. Sounds like you've put a lot of planning and thought into growing your creative business. (You'd get along great with my husband. He loves a PLAN.) Know you're going to fly, and it could happen sooner that you think. Happy to be flying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's one of my favorite words too because it describe nicely what we can do for ourselves....glad you are a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nurture is such a wonderful word and I love that you plan to nurture yourself as you build your dreams into reality. Remember to enjoy the journey along the way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful word and artwork too, Lisa! I hope that you continue to nurture yourself and your creativity this year. Wishing you a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you will definitely be nurturing yourself! See you both in Hello Soul and the Flora Bowley class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your artwork is so beautiful! Nurture is a great word for you and may it guide you throughout the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, what a great word as you start building your business. As you nurture it, we will all be hear to watch it grow! Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like you have a great year ahead of you, enjoy the journey in 2012

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck with nurturing this year, and with the classes! I've always wanted to enamel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NURTURE is such an exciting word to me, because it holds so much promise for the future. I loved your gardening analogy. It illustrated your point beautifully. I wish you the best of luck in the next five years, building your foundation. I just know you're going to FLY HIGH! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!