Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'm Welding!






This weekend, Mr. Tabby and I took a Welding for Artists class at my favorite glass studio Wired Designs. Mary Jo Emrick gave us an overview of all of the types of welding and how to set up to weld. We were also given a chance to try out three of the different methods: oxy fuel, MIG with gas and MIG without gas.

My favorite welding type was the oxy fuel. I am used to using a torch for jewelry and it is sort of like soldering in stained glass making. It is slow but gives you more control. Mr. Tabby has a MIG welder so, of course, that would be the method that I liked least. He likes it because it is much faster.

I took the class because I want to make custom frames for my glass work ala Roger Thomas. I took a class from him a few years ago and was stunned at the presentation of his artwork. My frames may not be at his caliber just yet, but now I have some basics so that I don't have to rely on the standard frames on the market.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa - cool photos! Glad you are up and standing for this. My welder is a MIG - a gift from my husband (he is so romantic isn't he?)haven't tried any other types you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You rock girl! Can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I’m drawn to that too! There’s something about the flame of the oxyacetylene cutting torch that makes me want to play with it. But I know that wouldn’t be safe at all. Haha. After all, oxyacetylene is highly combustible. Well, getting a good grasp of the basics can definitely be useful as you move forward in making custom frames for your glass work. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!